In this blog article I am going to show you how to use Facebook to advertise your business, specifically I am going to show you how to set up an account and get your ads to start appearing. If you know already how to do this you may want to read my article on effective facebook advertising tips to improve the results from your current ads. Once you finish reading this blog post, that article is also probably a good one to read next. With the launch of Google+ and Google+ business pages I am sure over time Facebook advertising will become less effective as more people migrate to Google+. In the long run I think Google+ will significantly dominate Facebook if not completely wipe it out. That being said I would estimate that time is far from near and right now and for the foreseeable future Facebook is a great way to get highly targeted, low cost advertising for any small business.
To create an ad campaign within Facebook it is very easy once you know what you are doing. Even someone with little computer or advertising skills can do it. Here is a list of the steps you will need to take to get your first ad up and running.
Steps To Create A Facebook Ad
1. Login to your Facebook account
2. Go to http://www.facebook.com/advertising/
3. Click on the the green "Create An Ad" button in the top right hand corner
4. Enter your website in the "URL" box
5. Type a catch title in the "Title" box (read the article on effective facebook advertising tips to create a good title)
6. Enter additional text you want to convey in your ad in the "Body" box
7. Click the "Choose File" button and select a picture you would like to include.
8. Press the blue "Continue" button
9. Click the "By City" button and enter the cities where you want your ad to display.
10. Select any additional demographic or interest targeting you would like to choose.
11. Press the blue "Continue" button
12. Change your currency to "Canadian Dollars" if you are located in Canada
13. Select your time zone
14. Type a name for your campaign in the "Campaign Name" box
15. Set the daily budget to a number between $1.00 and $5.00 to ensure you don't spend a lot of money before you know how well your add is working.
16. Click "Set A Different Bid"
17. In the "Max Bid (CAD)" box enter the amount you would like to pay per click (ensure it is more then the minimum bid allowed which is listed beside the "Max Bid (CAD)" box
Note: Always select the "Pay For Clicks (CPC)" option and not the "Pay for Impressions (CPM)" option (to find out why read Cost Per 1,000 Impressions - Facebook, Linkedin, Google Adwords)
18. Press the "Review Ad" button
19. Press the blue "Place Ad button"
20. Follow the steps to set up your payment options and wait for your ad to start being displayed!
Steps To Monitor Your Facebook Ads
1. Login to your Facebook account
2. Under you name look for the "Apps" heading and click "Ads" (If you do not see "Ads" listed click on the word "MORE" beside "Apps")
3. Click "Campaigns & Ads" on the left side of your screen
4. Click the title of your campaign below the "Campaign" heading in the center of your screen
5. Review your results selecting the time frame to look at results for by selecting it from the grey drop down button that currently says "Last 7 Days"
6. for more detailed reporting you can also click the "Full Report" button
Facebook ads can be a very inexpensive way to advertise for your business. Read some of the other articles below to learn more about Facebook advertising and other great ways to advertise and get new customers for your business.
Other Related Articles You Might Be Interested In
My name is Chris R. Keller. I work at Profitworks Small Business Services helping various B2B small businesses in Waterloo and Kitchener Ontario generate new customers. Feel free to connect with me on Google+ or if you are just interested in getting new customers for your B2B small businesses enter your email in the box provided below and click the "Send Me Free Updates" button.
I hope you have enjoyed this article on how to use Facebook to advertise your business. If you have a Facebook page send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will like your business' Facebook page. The more likes you get the better!